Bella Butterfly from Shabby Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Goal #1

I don't do resolutions.  I've made them before.  I've never once kept one.  (I have a friend who resolves EVERY year to continue smoking.  It's the only resolution he has ever kept.  I can understand that.  At least he feels like he hasn't let himself down by the end of the year!)

This year I'm setting goals and I'm taking my own advice.  Every year my students and I have long talks about what makes a good resolution or goal.  We talk about what makes a goal realistic and attainable.  We decided that we shouldn't use the words NEVER or ALWAYS when making a resolution because that just sets us up for failure.  It's a great conversation, but I've never really followed my own advice.  This year, I'm going to give it a shot.

Goal #1:  I want to work smarter.

I've taught 5th grade for 11 years.  In the beginning, I was just learning the curriculum and the kids and the "art" of lesson planning.  I got to school by 6:00 every morning and didn't leave until dark.  I also spent most of my weekends there.  11 years later, something should have changed by now.  Sometimes I'm spending extra hours reinventing the wheel.  Sometimes I'm trying to make things better.  Sometimes I'm organizing and reorganizing.  Sometimes I'm wasting time.  Often, during the school day when I have "planning" time, I spend that time talking to my peers.  (I live alone!  This IS my social time!)  I can also get very easily distracted by looking at books on Amazon, lesson plan ideas online, and any other sort of randomness that I can stumble upon on the internet.  This must stop.

So, in 2010, I want to work smarter.  For right now, this is what I envision working smarter will look like:

1) Less EXTRA hours at school.
             a) I don't have a problem with going in early.  That's when
                  I'm at my best.  Being there before 7:00 is fine.
            b) When the 3:30 bell rings, go home!  It's time to
                 rediscover life OUTSIDE of school!
            c) Spending weekends at school is NOT ok.

2) Use the time I AM at school WISELY!
           a)Use Planning Period to PLAN!
              Plan first, play and socialize later.
           b) My goal is to plan ahead.  I want to leave school on
              Monday having everything planned and ready for
              NEXT Monday.  When those things are ready, then
              I can talk and search for new lessons  and books!

3) Keep in mind that the kids really aren't going to be better people because of the perfect lesson, but because of the way I listened and respected them.  THAT'S why I got into this job in the first place.  I don't want to lose sight of that and I'm afraid that is what's been happening.

So there is Goal #1.  I'll post Goal #2 SOON!

4 comments:

  1. I can't even tell you how excited I am for you about this goal!! You are so much more than just a teacher (even though you're a pretty darn good one!) but often times your calendar doesn't reflect it. Can't wait to see your craftiness and your organizational skills and your relationships flourish because you're not consumed with school! Yay for change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goal, Lori!!

    And by the way, I completely identify with you what you said about "showing up for your own life." In many ways I feel that has been happening for me recently. I don't know if it was hitting 30, moving to a completely new place, or just God nudging me to focus on things that really matter, but it is refreshing. It certainly is not easy to maintain the focus, but life can be so much more purposeful when we are present in our own lives!!

    I look forward to more posts.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

    YAY for CALENDAR CHANGES and YAY for LORI time!!! :) This will also make you a better teacher....spending time doing what YOU WANT to do and not spending all your time at work. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK.. it's 6 month checkup time.. how are your goals playing out? I am here to support, cajole, drag you out, pick you up, celebrate, etc.. I salute all your goals and want you to reach them! I'm personally stuck with my weight-loss, life-change, etc.. but hoping to break past the plateau..
    So.. Rest up on your vacation. Live it up.. and find new resolve to meet your goals! Love and Hugs, K ~

    ReplyDelete